Hi all,

We've finally stretched our DP 450 G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) too far.
It's a great computer but it isn't really cutting it anymore :-(

We have looked into upgrades but it's power supply is quite noisy and has also shown signs that it might fail, it's trickle down power in particular. We could use a PC power supply but this means using a PC case too, not ideal but a possibility nonetheless. Has anyone cpu-upgraded a dualie? Does the slower system bus still hold it back? I would also install a Sonnet PCI SATA controller and hard drives which I have done before for others and highly recommend.

So we are looking into getting another Dualie as even a G5 single would 'seem' like a backwards step. If anybody wishes to come to the defence of 'mono' PowerMacs I'd be pleased to hear I'm being too fussy, there is the price to consider after all.

So *ideally* I'm looking for a Dual G5 PowerMac circa $1000, whether this is realistic I'm not sure.
I guess my minimum is a Dual 1 GHz G4.

If anyone has been down this road recently I'd love to hear how you fared and maybe what you learned.

If I ever built a G4 with a PC power supply and case I promise that I'll bring it to a WAMUG meeting ;-)

Cheers
Paul