I wonder if any one can help?

I have just bought an HL 2040 Laser printer and trying to run it on both Classic and OS 10.3.9 via USB (attached directly to computer - a G3)

I have managed to install a driver from CD for Classic and it works well.

10.3.9 is a non starter. I have tried to install from the CD and can get as far as a window in which the printer's name appears but has a ? over the icon.

Same routine with downloaded CUPS installer from the Brother web site and get as far as the USB window wherein the driver name appears with a ? mark on it. No further progress is possible.

Any help welcomed.

bill