On 29/07/2007, at 4:13 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

I have a partial clone of my hard drive on an external FW drive, from which I start occasionally for a variety of maintenance purposes. If I go to System Preferences/Startup Drive I can select and start from the external drive quite normally. If I do a Restart (or start from Shut Down) and hold down the option key, both the original drive and system and the external one come up on screen but the mouse will not select them (just shows the wristwatch) and the fan goes like fury - it is a G5 1.8 SP and I have to stop it with the power button. Is there a simple reason for this? Is there a workaround, ie how can I start from the clone in the event of a disastrous main drive crash when I can not access System Preferences. OSX 10.4.10
Severin Crisp

Hi Severin,

Try booting while holding down Option-Command-Shift-Delete

This should make it bypass the normal startup disk.