I've been considering getting a movie camera myself for home use. Has anyone had any experience with the Sanyo VPC-HD2 yet?

I'm also unsure of what speed SDHC would meet the requirements of the camera.

Thanks
Ruben

One cheap camera you might like to consider comes a bit out of left field (!) but would fit the bill if you're after instant playback of video footage without needing to rewind tapes and it's even faster than searching mini DVD discs. It also records in HD (High Definition) and can record up to 5hrs of standard def video on an 8GB SD card. It also has the option of up to 14x optical zoom (with an add-on) which when combined with HD resolution widescreen video should work very well capturing the detailed action out on the playing field. (I've filmed Gaelic football matches with a 10x optical zoom lens equipped mini-DV camera and that zoom level has been ample. ) Having instant 7 megapixel photo shooting while recording video wouldn't hurt either.

It's the new Sanyo VPC-HD2 Secure Digital Camcorder. Below is some info I put together for a department at work that is considering using them to hand out to students for filming Physiotherapy pracs. I haven't yet tried one myself, but we are planning to get one to test in the near future.

-Mart

This tiny pistol-grip shaped thing can record HD (720p) movies at up to 1280x720 at 30fps onto SD cards in MPEG-4 H.264 format. (and takes 7 megapixel photos.)

On a 4GB SD card, it can fit 1hr in widescreen HD TV mode or 2.5 hrs of standard def (720 x 480) or 10hrs at 320 x 240 (30 fps) which is what we generally capture to put up on the web. It will record 67hrs of audio-only. It will fit double those values on the new 8GB SD cards. 10x optical zoom and has a 1.4x Telephoto Conversion Lens available which would give 14x zoom.

It also has a mic input jack though it doesn’t have a hot shoe mount to connect a shotgun VideoMic or wireless receiver. Only 1 CCD, but that wouldn't be a problem out in the daylight. It also has USB2 and composite video output as well as component, s-video and even HDMI to show HD video on the big Plasma screen in the clubhouse (!!!). I haven’t been able to find out if it outputs composite video while recording or only on playback. Cables come out bottom so may interfere with tripod mounting if you wanted live display on a big screen.

It saves the video footage in Quicktime movie files on SD cards which you can just drag straight off the card and immediately play on a Mac. Importing into iMovie might require iMovie converting the video on import unless it handles it like MPEG-4 footage captured by the iSight. Need to experiment with that. Even if it does, the conversion is transparent and should still be significantly faster than digitising a Mini-DV tape in real-time.

Price: Aus$600 - $750

More info and reviews:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/products/vpc_hd2/index.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/hd2.html