Hi all,

The HD (Hitachi IC25N080ATMR04-0) has died in my : PowerBook G4 17"; model 5,3; CPU G4 (1.1), 1.33GHz, Tiger 10.4.10

Any views on a good replacement, I don't mind paying more for better/ quieter/cooler/etc.

The instructions for replacement seem fairly straightforward but I'd appreciate any opinions/advice on doing this myself (I put more RAM in, but that's the limit of my experience - well actually i'm a qualified telecommunications technician, but that was a long time ago, phones had dials and exchanges had big, clunky, noisy stepping relays. I gather things have changed a bit)

I'm in the Geraldton area, but travel to Perth fairly frequently.

Also, is there any freeware/shareware data recovery software around (of course i made backups, but .. . ). Couldn't find any on VersionTracker.

Cheers,

Graham