Hi all,

Another issue, following on from my previous post:

I currently have a G5 iMac running Tiger 10.4 (as supplied + online updates)
and a 800Hz G4 iMac running Jaguar 10.2 (a purchased update from the
supplied 10.0).

If I decide to postpone buying a new iMac but buy Leopard for the G5 iMac, I
would have thought that I should then be free to install my (legitimate)
copy of Tiger onto the G4 iMac (at 800Hz it's too slow for Leopard).

However I heard (can't remember where) that the install disc which comes
with the iMac will only install to the same model (so the G5 disc won't work
with the G4) can anybody confirm/clarify this?

If so, does that mean the the G4 is not, as I'd assumed, going to work as a
back-up computer for me - I currently use Superduper to clone my G5 drive to
an external FW drive - so if my disk dies I can boot from the external drive
and be back in business - however I'd assumed that if the whole computer
died (as opposed to just the disc) - I could just clone the external drive
over to the G4 iMac to keep me going (still with external backup) while the
main G5 is repaired/replaced depending on the problem. (I assumed this
mainly because I remembered support guys troubleshooting the corporate macs
just used to carry their own FW drives with operating systems & other tools
installed and just boot up the office machines {a variety of models} from
their drives.)

Now I'm starting to worry that this approach will not work if the system
cloned from the G5 won't boot on the G4.

Can anyone explain how specific the cloned system installation is in terms
of hardware - computer specific, model specific, processor specific or what
- and similarly what is the difference between the system installed by a
model specific install disc as opposed to that installed by a full retail OS
system install disc.

Hope that makes sense!

TIA

Neil