The fact that you are logging in to it (the drive) probably means that OSX still thinks its Network Attached Storage (NAS), which it sounds like what the device was purchased as - even though you are using the USB bus to attach it.

I don't think your problem is to do with the drive formatting as others have suggested.

I believe as a NAS device, there is some firmware that is producing the logon message (which wont be impacted by reformatting) and I don't think Time Machine is likely to be compatible with it. Time machine will work with network shares provided by OSX 10.5 server, but if it worked with the La Cie device you would be lucky indeed!

Regards,

Brett Clarke
Director, Information Systems & Services
Apple Distinguished Educator, 2002

Presbyterian Ladies' College
14 McNeil Street
PEPPERMINT GROVE