I have been following this thread with interest, I followed this path for about
2
years buying external cases and putting bigger drives in when they became
affordable! You can get the 1tb drives for about $360 and then buy what ever
case
you like.

But:

I decided to buy a raid this year. I purchased an intel 4 bay sata raid case and
then put my drives into that, currently 2tb across 4 drives in raid 5 format.
So
my total usable space is just on 1.4tb.  The case has 2 1000 ethernet ports.

There are now many solutions available from other companies and cheaper than
what
I paid.

I found this was ideal for my data security if one drive fails I just replace it
and the data rebuilds automatically.  Of course the upfront cost is higher but
it
depends on how important your data is.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards