On 15/12/2007, at 10:23 AM, KEVIN Lock wrote:

I am setting up a G3 350mhz tower. It is running well with OS 10.3, however when I try to shut it down, a message appears in a black frame in four languages telling me that I need to restart the computer by holding down the start button for a few seconds. On restart and shut down the same message appears. I have repaired permissions etc but nothing has changed.

Plenty of Ram; 2 HDs

Any ideas for me on this one?

Ta

Kev

Hi Kev,

I used to see that black frame a lot when I was trying to make OSX work on a PM7600 .

It often has something to do with software timing , and can be related to RAM fault ,
Hard Drive slow etc.

I suggest you try removing a stick of RAM at a time and try again .
Also the Ram seating can be an issue ... like the contacts do not make properly .

Mac OS9 will work fine but once you start with OSX panther etc it will find any weak points.

What size hard drive ...  how much spare space ?

Also does your Tower have SCSI or ATA hard drive ?

If it's SCSI the Hard DRIVE must have the SCSI terminated .
Other people may tell you not to worry about that , but my experience says
you are on a wing and a prayer if you do not get that Termination right.

Good luck

Bob