Thanks for the feedback Clyde.

I guess I'm doing it differently to you in a couple of ways

- firstly I don't have the stand-alone version of Windows, I have the XP Pro
that came with VPC7 (all legit though).

- I know that to install from scratch you generally need the stand alone
windows installer but one of Parallels features is it's ability to import
VPC virtual machines. And it did import it, and the SP1 version is working
fine.

- At the first boot up of the newly imported virtual machine I got the
message that my hardware had changed significantly and I needed to
re-activate Windows - I did this with no problems however so I think my
system is recognised as a valid version.

- The second difference is that rather than downloading the SP2 upgrade from
the MS website myself I let the Upgrade Windows application do it (I thought
this would give less problems!). As I say it seemed to download and install
OK and told me the upgrade was complete - it's just that after restarting it
fails to start Windows.

I've a fair amount of time & effort already invested in my (working) virtual
machine so I'd rather stick at SP1 than start again from scratch. I'd just
be happier if I could figure out how to actually make the upgrade work (or
at least the reason it isn't working!)

Cheers

Neil

--