Hi Bill,
In very simple terms, the problem with IE is that it is too clever (same may used a different word) for its own good. It will let sites download things (active X's etc) onto your computer that provide a way for mischievous operators to get at you computer. Firefox, on the other hand does not have that ability, and so is a lot safer.

There maybe better explanations and deeper reasons why Firefox is preferable - but simply put - nasty users cannot get at your system so easily.

       Cheers  ... Clyde