Thanks for the replies folks!

I first took Robert's advice and had a look for individual files which were
missing. I can't find them anywhere. I then rebuilt the iPhoto library as
per Martin's advice. The problem remains. Since there are thumbnails, I
assume that the images were successfully removed from the camera. There are
examples of some intact and some missing images in single camera import
sessions.

I am running iPhoto 7.1.1 and MacOS 10.5.1 on a 2.2GHz Intel MacBook.

Since we have successfully used iPhoto for years to import and manage all of
our photos, I find this extremely disturbing.

I'll do some more checks and keep you posted. Any further advice will be
most gratefully received.

Cheers,

Andrew