flatbed scanners seem to do a good job with medium format stuff... these days even a professional quality flat bed scanner is under the $500 mark.... though make sure you get it with the back light lid..... and a good scanner is handy for other stuff (prints with missing negatives... scanning art work etc etc etc.... ) so a nice toy to have anyway

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/scanner.htm
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/scanrex.htm

I don't always (hardly ever) agree with what Ken Rockwell writes but I'd trust him on the film scanner stuff as he is a ardent film snob (he does use digital but he's still a total film snob, particularly with large format film).

I have a heap of old negatives that I would like to get scanned.
The price of having them done seems quite high these days, with most photo outlets going digital.
(Are there any old type photo booths left?)
I have 110ml 135ml & 2" by 2" Hassleblad negatives. Also some really teensy ones from the 1970's.

I think I can still get a reasonable price on the 35ml from Big W.

The Hassleblad negs could be done via a photographer to make a proof sheet that could be scanned. (It's another option)

So, not having any experience with negative scanners, and thinking it might be the cheapest option to buy one and do them myself, what do they actually do differently than the usual scanner? How do they work & why is it so?

jo

~
Mark Secker  IT Labs Manager & Computer Support Officer
School of Business IT Services.
ph# 61-8-6488 1855  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
University of Western Australia - CRICOS Provider No. 00126G
~

"It takes an idiot to do cool things.... that's why it's cool"
- Haruhara Haruka (FLCL)

http://www.pbase.com/marxz