Hi Severin,

On 03/03/2008, at 1:25 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

I have just installed a 300GB second drive in my G5 1.8SP and made it my boot drive. I erased my Time Machine backup disk and started from scratch. It took 20 hours to complete the first backup save and I see this occupies 250GB of space whereas the used space on the drive being backed up is only 130GB.

Did you exclude the other drive on your G5 from Time Machine?
The first backup does take hours as your Mac copies every file on your internal hard drive (that you have elected to backup) onto the backup drive.
Subsequent backups will be faster because only changed files are copied.

Remember Time Machine backs up entire files at a time - not pieces of files. If you edit huge files like video files, keep in mind that each file gets recopied to the backup drive everytime you change it. So a 2GB video file that you work on all day could wind up occupying 48GB on the backup drive by the end of the day.
Many things will slow down the backup process considerably.
Spotlight indexing. Make sure that spotlight is NOT indexing the system hard drive at the same time as Time Machine is starting it's initial backup.
Let Spotlight finish before turning Time Machine on.

Exclude the Time Machine Partition from spotlight as well. Spotlight will start indexing as your backup runs and consume a lot of CPU and disk bandwidth.

Also minimising your use of the machine during the initial backup helps. If you are changing many files during the backup process - Time Machine seems to slow down to try and incorporate those changes.

I do not remember such a long time to back up or such a large backup space usage under 10.5.1. By way of comparison, SuperDuper clones the same disk in just over 6 hours.

Superduper doesn't give you a 'history' of your files that you can scroll back through. Time Machine is file recovery, SuperDuper & Carbon Copy Cloner are bootable backups.
Using both TM & SuperDuper  probably is a wise decision.

Additionally under 10.5.2, Time Machine crashes and needs a forced restart if the Mail window happens to be the open window when opening Time Machine. This was not the case with 10.5.1.

Have you assigned Mail to a space? If you have remove the assignment or assign Mail to every space, and see if that stops TM from crashing.
Some Mail plugins can also cause TM to crash when Mail is open.