On 03/05/2008, at 10:23 AM, Lloyd White wrote:

A friend of mine allowed his 2 yr old grandson to bash on the keyboard,
turning on various applications, which he turned off.

But since then the finder has every menu item doubled. Eg Shut down, or
Sleep appear twice.

He has re-booted but still the strange items appear. One of each set work., Eg if he clicks on Sleep there is no reaction from one, but the other will
make it sleep.

Any suggestions - apart from having greater control over his grandson!

Lloyd

OK !

There is always the standby option of creating a new user and starting from that user to help isolate the problem . I am guessing problem is in the User preferences
but this will prove it .

Like :  Is it in the preferences of the user or the System ?

Then I would be looking to trash the Finder preferences and doing a restart .

User-Library-preferences -  com.apple.finder.plist

Might need something else as well .

Bob