Hi Norman,

using iPhoto 7.1.3 if you select say 5 columns and arrange your photos on the template they will be printed out in the arrangement you choose. If you then decide to change the format and go to say 4 columns it will default back to the arrangement set by the 'sort photos' under the 'view' menu in iPhoto.

Perhaps you need to set the 'sort photos' view to manual, then select the print template.

                      Regards,
                      Eugene