Hi Tony, we have the Canon S5 IS 12X zoom, 8.0 mp camera, which takes nice,
crisp shots and good video as well. I'm not
sure how it goes on sports, but I took some photos and video of pandas moving
about, using the zoom, and the are
delightfully clear and sharp. I've also taken shots at Queens Gardens which are
great. Low light shots are not fantastic, but
that is true of point and shoot cameras generally.

This camera has been around for a little while, it was $600, but you may get it
at the better price.

On my .Mac gallery there are photos of pandas, and a few other animals at the
Chongqing Zoo, you will need to look through
the album for those shots. The other photos are taken with a Nikon D80, so not
relevant to your enquiry.

There is also a short video which is taken using zoom, so gives a good idea of
the clarity.

This camera has good reviews, better than the newer Nikon P80 which has 10.0 mp
and 18X zoom in terms of picture
quality. The Nikon is about $600 I think.

The Canon also has a range of accessories, a hotshoe for external flash, and an
articulated LCD.

The downside is that it does use AA batteries, and if using the LCD a lot, you
would always need to have spares (high quality
batteries are a must as well). The advantage in a school setting is that
rechargeable batteries always seem to need charging
on the day you want to take photos. At least, that's my experience of trying to
use a camera in a community setting. If you
have the option of non-rechargeable batteries, then its easy to get it powered
up quickly.

cheers, Susan.

---
Susan Hastings
Chongqing Electric Power College
Chongqing
China
http://gallery.mac.com/susanhastings

On Tue Jun  3  8:15 , Evers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent: