On 09/06/2008, at 8:18 AM, Ashley Mulder wrote:

On 07/06/2008, at 10:58 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:

On 07/06/2008, at 10:16 AM, Ashley Mulder wrote:
Hi guys

Got a problem with my Macbook pro battery
Don't ask me what prompted me to do this but i pulled my fully
charged battery pack out the other day, and probably ran the
computer on the power adaptor for about 2 days
Thursday night i put the battery back in, removed the power
adaptor, and the computer promptly decided to shut down!!!
The battery is fully charged, it is in properly, and the computer
recognises that the battery is there cause it says it has a full
charge
I can even click on the battery status indicator at the top menu
bar, it will show the source as the power adaptor, i remove the
power adaptor and the source becomes the battery, then it shuts
down (ie, its showing that the source has become the battery, but
for some reason it just shuts down)

Ive reset the PRAM to no effect, nor has getting angry at it proven
to do anything :)
Im thinking of deleting the BatteryUpdater.bundle file from the
System Configuration file, restarting, then re-installing version
1.2 (its at 1.3 atm) and seeing what that does

What do you learned people suggest??

PS Apple Support Docs doesn't really have much on it - its suggest
that maybe the backup battery might be flat, but it doesn't seem to
be

Hello Ashley,

It is not good to run your MBP on AC power with the battery removed
- for one thing, your MBP with throttle the CPU back to 1 GHz.
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305336

You could  Reset SMC (System Management Controller) & see if that
fixes the problem.
MacBook, MacBook Pro:
1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then
release the button.
4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

Also Ashley,

I meant to add this in my previous email.
After resetting the SMC on your MacBook Pro, you should Calibrate your
battery for best performance as per the instructions found here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Ronni

Still no luck
Reset the SMC and it still doesn't want to stay on with the power adaptor off Realised that before reseting the SMC the battery was not actually charging, though the computer said that it had a full charge at 95% After resetting the SMC it charged the battery right to 100% - but there is no way to calibrate the battery because i cant empty the charge!!!
This is getting really annoying
I don't want to have to contact Apple Support if i don't have to, as I'm afraid of the price of a new battery plus the call charge :(

Hi Ashley,

You might be eligible for replacement of your battery by Apple.

"Identifying an affected battery:
Affected batteries will have one or more of the following symptoms:

• Battery is not recognised causing an “X” to appear in the battery icon in the Finder menu bar.
        • Battery will not charge when computer is plugged into AC power.
• Battery exhibits low charge capacity/runtime when using a fully charged battery with a battery cycle count (as shown in System Profiler) of less than 300.
        • Battery pack is visibly deformed."

<http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/>