Hi Ronni
I am happy to help him where I can.
I am at Balcatta SHS. We are 90% Windoze and of course run in a Windoze server
environment.
I have always used a mac at school (since about 1990) and along with a steadily
growing number of staff will continue to do so.
Because we run SIS under a Terminal Server I can access SIS very easily via
Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection. I have no trouble using SIS.
I THINK that if SIS is not running under Terminal Server that it may be more
difficult on the Mac side.
SIS reporting from home is via a web interface - so no problems there.
DET now runs webmail via a web interface so no problems there. (Microsoft
Exchange client for mac used to work well when we were on Excange Mail.

There should be no problem connecting to his school network and seeing the
servers.

One of the keys is - how cooperative is the School Network Nazi er
Administrator?
If he is friendly then no problems.
Mine is great!

I would assume as a deputy he will have a Windoze machine on his desk already.
Getting a mac will complement that.

Happy to talk to him.

Think Different.
Be Creative.