Clyde,

With the MAc you already get a set development tool. On your HD you should find a folder Developer where there group off application can / are installed. Some of these are: Xcode, Interface Builder ... and if you download the fee SDK kit for the iPhone you will also get specific apps to build apps for the iPhone. You even get an iPhone simulator.

Cheers,
Peder