>Re connecting to school servers - I was told at the beginning of the
>year, "Macs don't support the security protocols, so you can't connect
>using OSX". Our IT guy (comes in once a week) is so anti-Mac it's not
>funny. So I have to switch to Boot Camp to get internet and access to
>shared drives. Can't wait to try Ronni and Reg's suggestions -
>tomorrow!
>
>cheers
>Travis

Hi Travis,

The anti-Mac guys are out there! It pays to remember these guys know nothing
else and generally protect their territory. If you try to prove them wrong
they just arc up, and up go the blinkers. It is unfortunate. With some, you
can subtley show the benefits and bring them over the the light! I have done
this myself with about 6 or so IT guys who are now MacBook Pro users and
lining up for iPhones.

When I see the results and improvements in students at a school that has
gone from using Word and Publisher, to creating with iPhoto, iMovie and
Pages I am always amazed. And it happens at all ages. It is unfortunate that
ICT 'people' see the only way to manage networks is to go down the "Windows
/ Group Policy lockdown" path. I understand the why, especially on
Administration networks, but there can still be structure in having a
creative curriculum learning environment.

In your case Travis, there is a single registry setting (part of the domain
server security policy) that can make it difficult for Mac users to connect
to a share. It is not that Mac's don't support security protocols, it is
that Microsoft don't always follow standards. You can actually join your Mac
(OSX) to the domain and login with your standard username and password. Then
you can connect to a share (with your username and password) and then add
that to your startup items so that next time you login it will automatically
connect.

I've had some fun with ICT support guys. I went to one school where they
wanted an iMac able to access the Internet. "No worries. Can I have your
proxy settings please". "Oh no", they say, "It can't go on the network!".
Their IT guy said a Mac would not run on their network, so just connect it
to the wireless. "huh?". I asked them how much they were paying this guy.
:-)   I ended up drawing their network for them to prove that I had to
connect it to the network to get Internet and that it would not cause any
server issues. At another private school, the Principal and Head of
Curriculum both were mightily impressed by our demonstration of what a Mac
could do for their learning environment. By the time we called back, their
IT guy had told them he couldn't support Macs and he would walk out. "huh?"
So who is running the school?

Good luck to all Mac users at schools and feel free to ask questions if you
have road blocks. I may have the answers. Remember, anything is possible!

Oh, and the guy at DET for Apple support for schools that are
"LWCIT/GDSOE/100 schools" is Paul Lewis.

Cheers,
Stuart

Stuart Evans
T4 Technology