On 25/06/2008, at 7:35 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

hi Folks

under pressure a few years ago i changed from Panorama to Filemaker and although it does the job i find it so frustrating at times.

The biggest headache is with searches... with Panorama I could search for say 'big' and not 'red' and not 'green' but with Filemaker i have to search big and blue, big and white, big and yellow, big and brown....etc etc etc. The again with Panorama if i had forgotten something i could then search within the results found but with Filemaker i have to start again.

Anyway that's how it seems to me...i would love or someone to tell me i'm wrong and point me to something i've missed as i have a decision to make.... either convert my database back to Panorama or upgrade to Filemaker 9

Of course any other advice welcome

When you are performing a (non-scripted) search in Filemaker, make sure you have the grey status area exposed on the left hand side of the window. Enter Find Mode, and type (using your example) "big" into your search field. Go to the "Requests" Menu and choose "Add New Request". Type "red" into your search field and click the "Omit" checkbox in the Status Area. To the same for every other term you wish to omit from the search.

The Filemaker Help covers this quite well ("Finding records except those matching criteria", for example).

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913