My 8gb iPod Touch does not appear in iTunes nor does it show up on the
desktop but does show in System Profiler as being connected to a usb 2.0
port and does recharge.

I have tried removing all other usb devices; connecting to each of the usb
ports; turning iPod off and on again; restarting computer and reconnecting
iPod; and repairing permissions and then going through all the previous
steps. Deleted every iTunes and iPod plist I could find.

MacBook Pro 3,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
OS  10.5.3 (9D34)
ITunes 7.6.2

Thank you,