My brother recently relocated back from the from the UK. He had an unlimited
quota with his DSL connection over there... his 'real world' connection
speeds were pretty average in my opinion though. Compared to my iiNet ADSL2
connection anyway.

So, he's looking at plans, and he thinks everything here is expensive in
comparison. A mate over at Telstra had this to say by way of explanation for
our pricing schemes.

---
You'd expect that it would be more expensive in a country with our
population density compared with London (particularly with the slant for
urban areas to cross-subsidise rural areas). It's annoying, but I can't see
it changing unless we get some kind of miracle technology coming along. And
that won't change the extortionate rates we get charged over the
International links to US (Australia pays for both the incoming AND outgoing
traffic).
---

Maybe the prices we pay... Are the prices we pay, to have broadband services
plus a better overall standard of living than our counterpart consumers in
the UK (and elsewhere)?

Cheers,
Toby.