Thanks Mal, I shall give that a try

It will be interesting to see if I have to do a similar process when I take the Australian unlocked iPhone to the UK and put a UK SIM into it.

Cheers
Jane

On 18/07/2008, at 3:16 PM, Malcolm Burtenshaw wrote:

The APN is basically the name of the network you're trying to join. In the case of 3 you have 3Services (which used to be a walled garden back in the old days), 3NetAccess (which used to allow you access the Internet in the old days) and 3MMS (which suprise suprise is for MMS).

If you want to configure your Optus phone try using this address:

http://optusau.wdsglobal.com/internet

Mal

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jane Griffiths" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, 18 July, 2008 2:27:39 PM GMT +08:00 Perth
Subject: Re: 3 Sim card

That's twice I've seen a reference to APN regarding the use of other
sims in an unlocked phone. For the benefit of this less SIM-savvy
wamug'er could you please explain what APN is all about.

Could this APN stuff be the answer to why I can't get onto the web on
my unlocked (UK purchased) Samsung phone, as it only lists UK based
WAP providers.  I've been through all the settings and can't see how
to enter local (ie Optus) WAP details.

At least I know my iPhone won't have this problem when it eventually
arrives.

Thanks

Cheers
Jane