My experience inside powerbooks and ibooks of various generations over the past 10 years says that yes, you can up the RAM yourself, there's plenty of articles online saying how to do it. Use an About... to find out what is in your PBG4 if you can get an image, see if it's worth putting in, also of the ibook, probably they will be compatible if a similar age. However it is fiendishly tight on space in there so be prepared to spend a few hours with both machines. It is do-able but not easy.
dd