Hi Rob,
this happens when you update an application and haven't deleted the alias from the dock, , if you just drag the ? mark out of the Dock it will disapear in a puff of smoke , then drag the updated one into the Dock where it will place an alias of it, I think you will find that this will rectify the problem

 Bill