Have an iBook G4 running 10.5.5.

Suddenly an overlay of DOS-style white text on black bakground appeared on the screen, and everything froze. The iBook can be booted up from holding down the power button, but after reaching a certain point it returns to the same state, freezing and requiring holding down of the power button again.

I have a screen shot if anyone's interested, poor enough quality not be able to read the text (shot taken with another Mac), but here are some of the things that are stated. I'll just mention a few of the things that might be more relevant, including first and last lines and a bit in the middle which mentions Adium...

-------------------------
System Failure: cpu=0; code=00000001 (Corrupt stack)
Latest crash info for cpu 0:

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Adium

panic: We are hanging here....

So, it seems to have had something to do with Adium (latest version installed). That may because on my daughter's user account, who was trying to log in when the problem occurred, has Adium set to launch at start up.

So, I rebooted, logged in as Administrator. Everything fine. Launched Adium. Everything fine.

Suspecting it may be Adium just on my daughter's account, I put Adium in the trash and then logged in as my daughter. Everything fine. Switched back into my account, untrashed Adium, switched back to daughter's account, and then launched Adium. The ugly screen appeared and then froze.

Anyone know why might be the cause of that? Should I just reinstall Adium, or trash daughter's preferences or something? What would be the likely fix? I want to avoid trying a variety of things and making the iBook crash the hard way each time. I don't think it's got eons of life left in it as it is.

Cheers, Steven