Hi Glenn,

On 16/10/2008, at 12:10 PM, Glenn Cardwell wrote:

My first ever use of the wamug group and I stuff up. This was an old message (yesterday) I had drafted and since then I found out more from the wamug website.

However, there is still a problem:

The podcast in Garageband (v4.1.2) was sent to my iTunes (8.0.1). The original version was 3.4 MB. When I get iTunes to convert to a mp3 files, the size increases to 8.1MB. As I want to upload this to Hipcast as a podcast (and later to iTunes), my gut feel is that the size is too big.

The bit rate has changed from 64 kbps to 192 kbps in the conversion. Is that the reason for the increase in size?

Yes, a higher bitrate creates a larger size file.
If you want to change the bitrate in iTunes:
1. Choose iTunes > Preferences - General and click Import Settings.

2. Choose an encoder from the Import Using pop-up menu (you select MP3)

3. Choose a bit rate from the Setting pop-up menu (you select custom)
Then under the Stereo Bitrate select a lower Bitrate

4. Click OK.

5. Select your track in iTunes then choose Advanced > "Create MP3 Version"

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a typical bit rate for a podcast, as they vary greatly from as low as 32 kbps up to around 128 kbps. As a rough guide to the use of different bit rates however, the following may be helpful:

320 kbps - Virtually indistinguishable from original CDs
128 kbps - Typical for musical MP3s and quality podcasts
64 kbps - Common bit rate for speech podcasts
48 kbps - Reasonably common for longer speech podcasts
32 kbps - Poor, usually used to reduce download times

Listen For Yourself:

<http://www.siliconbay.co.uk/services/128kbps.mp3>
<http://www.siliconbay.co.uk/services/64kbps.mp3>
 <http://www.siliconbay.co.uk/services/32kbps.mp3>

Is there a smarter way to do this?

I think you can direct Export to MP3 format in GarageBand v4.1.2

The Podcasters on WAMUG can probably give you more advice on Podcasting.

Thanks again

Glenn