Hi Neil,
On 03/11/2008, at 11:19 AM, Neil Houghton wrote:

Out of interest, for your MacBook Pro and iPod Touch why did you go MP3 rather than AAC - general compatibility with other devices, or something
else?

I convert the AIFF files to MP3 instead of AAC as I also burn MP3 Discs to play in my Car. Put one disc in my Car's CD player & I have about 9 hours of music for a long trip ;-)

Given your previous comparisons of formats/bit rates, I assume you go 192
for the MP3s?

Yes, definitely 192 Kbps

Also, when you say:

(Of course my iTunes Music Library is included in my weekly backups to
another  External FW Drive.)

are you talking about the AIFF files on your external FW drive, or your MP3
files on your MacBook Pro (or both)? - I wasn't sure whether you had a
desktop Mac & used the ext FW drive for its iTunes library (as well as
having the MacBook Pro with the MP3 iTunes library) or whether the laptop
was your main computer and the FW drive was just for a music archive.

The MacBook Pro is my main computer. I share my iTunes Library with my MacMini which runs EyeTV, and is connected to my Surround Sound Amplifier System.
The 'Music' FW Drive holds the AIFF files.
My iTunes Library (which has the MP3's & some AIFF files) is included in my weekly backup of my 'Home Folder' to another External FW Drive.