I use Google Apps (Gmail) for mail, so that does virus scanning as
well as spam filtering.
Am also Little Snitch user - LS notifies you whenever any application
requests an outgoing network connection (you can set up an approval as
a one off or permanently, or deny one off or permanently). So whenever
any app tries to connect out/phone home, I know.

Glenn.