Hi Steven,

I currently use my main MBP as server for a MB to access a communal folder.

Problem with this is that my MBP needs to be awake whenever the MB needs to access the folder, which is occasionally inconvenient.

But ... I also have everything backing up to Time Capsule. I don't know why I haven't pondered this before, but can Time Capsule not be used as a server? If so, how do I go about that?

If by server you mean 'Network Attached Storage' then I think yes maybe.

From http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/wireless.html

"Works with Mac and PC.

Time Capsule with Time Machine in Leopard is the ideal backup solution. But that doesn’t mean Tiger, Windows XP, and Windows Vista users can’t enjoy the benefits of Time Capsule, too. Because it mounts as a wireless hard drive, Tiger and Windows users simply access Time Capsule directly from the wireless network for exchanging and storing files quickly and easily."

So from the MB I guess browse your network for the Time Capsule, from the above I take it it should be there. Connect to it, I don't know if it asks for a password, then see if you can create a new folder to use.

If I did use Time Capsule as a server, I would then need to worry about the backup of the folder parked on Time Capsule. Maybe one the MBP could be set up such that it syncs with that folder?

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/syncfolders.html

I imagine this is only one of many ways to do this.
From the MBP I guess you will be able to connect to the Time Capsule in the same way as I described for the MB.

Being a communal folder you might want to consider the one on the TC to be the original and the one on the MBP the backup. In this case you would be connecting to it over the network to the TC to use it communally from the MBP.

Not too sure really but you DO have plenty of options :-)

Good Luck
Paul