Hi Stuart,

Apple Partition Map (APM) scheme, the default for PowerPC-based Macs.

GUID Partition Table (GPT) scheme, the default for Intel Macs.

On 19/11/2008, at 8:53 PM, Stuart Breden wrote:

A dumb blond question.

What are APM and GUID partitions?

Stuart Breden
PO Box 132
Kalamunda WA 6926
Hm Ph: (08) 9257 1577
Wk Ph: (08) 9291 4599
Mbl: 0417 053 266

On 02/11/2008, at 12:39 PM, Neil Houghton wrote:

Hi Bob,

(by the way, best to use a subject when you post - I've taken the liberty of
putting one in)

Unless someone has come up with a new magic trick, it is not possible to
have APM and GUID partitions on a single external drive.

As I understand it, you can have a number of partitions with different formats on a drive but APM or GUID refers to the drive's single partition
table - it has to be one thing or another.

I have also read that you CAN boot an intel Mac from a APM drive, it's just that the OSX installer won't intall an intel system onto an APM drive.

My understanding though is that you could copy your system from the GUID internal drive to an external APM drive and still boot from it. I haven't
tried this myself, but I have seen this reported in various articles.

If it was me, given that hard drives are getting cheaper by the minute, I would get another drive and keep one as the GUID intel bootable back-up and the other as the APM PPC bootable back-up. However, if that is not an option for you, my understanding is that (space permitting) you could have a 2 partition APM drive with one partition set-up as an intel bootable back-up (copied over from your existing intel system) and the other as the PPC
bootable back-up.

Regarding transferring the stuff, I would generally use Apples migration assistant. I did have a few problems a while back with it - but I think this was more because I was migrating user accounts which had previously been migrated from earlier (jaguar on G4) systems - look back in the archives if
you are interested in the saga!

The thing is to use migration assistant first-up and check that everything went over OK - then if there was any problem you always have the option of a clean re-install on the new mac and then set-up your accounts from fresh and copy over the data from the old machine - I expect you are unlikely to have
problems or need this - but it's always nice to have a plan B!

Personally, I now always set up a new machine with an admin account, with no associated user data, I use this account to get all the software updates installed and then migrate the user account(s) over - I know a lot would consider this overkill and just migrate everything over but I like having the option of logging in to the admin account if there are any problems with
the user account.

Also, although you can use migration assistant to transfer over all your applications, in your case, since you are going from PPC to intel, I would prefer to clean install all the applications before migrating the user
accounts over.

Setting up, updating and transferring seems to be a fairly subjective topic - so you will probably find a few other preferred approaches out there!

Hope that helps

Cheers

Neil
--