Well, here's my list of favourite apps for my iPhone (not including any of the standard apps like the brilliant Google Maps). Some of these are free, but many cost a few bucks, but I reckon they are worth it. I'd be interested to hear what favourites everyone else has:

Aussie Specific Apps:

FuelView - Finally The WA govt's Fuelwatch is actually useful for me. Shows a list of the fuel prices at petrol stations nearby with the cheapest at the top with distance and how to get there provided by Google maps. Brilliant! What's not brilliant is the fact that diesel is still 137.9 compared to unleaded at 106.9c. :-(

WA Traffic - All of the Main Roads freeway and other webcams accessible online from the one app (there is a Sydney version available as well). Great for checking to see if I should avoid the freeway or not on the commute in to work. What's not good is how pathetic the reliability of the Main Roads webcams are. This morning, they are ALL offline. Even when they are online, although they advertise on the MRD website that the cameras are updated every 5 minutes, it is in reality only every 20 minutes. In addition to hating Main roads for braindead Traffic Light programming and speed limit sign placement, here's another reason to hate that particular govt dept. :-(

Pkt Weather - Much better than the default weather app as it gets far more detailed and more importantly, more accurate weather observations and forecasts straight from the Bureau of Meteorology. Also shows current wind strength and direction (in knots - yay!) for us windsurfers as well as rain radar etc.

IceTV - Shows upcoming TV schedules and if you have an EyeTV digital TV tuner and IceTV subscription, allows you to click on a show or series on your iPhone when you're out and about to record them on your Mac at home. The IceTV subscription is $99 per year, but in my opinion worth it if you have an EyeTV for the detailed onscreen program guide in EyeTV itself (works great with Smart Guides to automatically record every show that has "David Attenborough" in it no matter what time or channel for example) as well as this remote scheduling ability.

Toilet Mate - okay you can laugh, but who hasn't at some time needed to know where the closest public toilet is? Hmmm? yes, I thought so. Shows the distance and directions in Google Maps. :-)

AU Postcodes - Type in a State or suburb and it will show you the postcode(s) or type in a postcode and it will show all suburbs with that pcode.

Qantas - Arrivals and departures at any Australian airport. Accurate up to the minute when my plane had to divert to Adelaide due to a heart attack victim on board on the way home from Melbourne. I actually kept my fellow passengers up to date with the latest delayed ETA in Perth while we waited on the tarmac. (and yes, the hosties did say we could use our phones while we waited). :-)

And here are a few other fav apps that aren't specifically Australian, but are very handy nonetheless:

Jaadu - It may be the most expensive iPhone App I have ever bought at Au$29, but it is worth it. So much better than MochaVNC. It allows you to remotely control your Mac or PC via VNC screen sharing, but also can be used as a numeric keypad or powerpoint controller or portable trackpad or shortcut keypad even when you are sitting in front of your computer. It finds Macs or PCs on your local LAN using Bonjour so you don't need to know IP addresses and it is far more reliable and robust than the Mocha products as well as featuring lovely teleport animations and a very useable way of moving the mouse around and precisely clicking and dragging even with a tiny screen view of the computer you are controlling. (you can also pinch and zoom to increase the viewable area)

Onetap Movies - shows the movies and show times at all the cinemas closest to you. Also shows ratings, reviews and movie trailers.

Stanza - Excellent ebook reader app. Huge online library of free eBooks a click away. Has a Mac app that can convert just about any doc into ebooks for easy reading on the iPhone.

Ping - good for network troubleshooting

WiFinder - Good for scanning for open and locked wifi networks that aren't always visible in the built-in wifi control panel. Free at the moment while the author tries to get Apple to release new version.

AirSharing - good for filesharing between Mac and iPhone (Discover is a free alternative)

TideApp - Shows you tide info and predictions for major Australian ports. The tide chart has pretty basic graphics, but it works.

Surf report - handy if you're a windsurfer and you forgot to bring your sail. ;-)

Guitar - great guitar app if you actually want to play some guitar music (using chord notation) strumming chords and plucking individual strings. Works well even if you don't know how to play guitar. Very fun.

Units - convert from anything to anything else - distances, weights, volumes, temps, data storage and also has a nice inches and centimeter ruler.

Dual Level Lite - when you want a couple of spirit levels to get that picture exactly straight.

WhiteNoise - the air-conditioner noise puts our 3 month old daughter to sleep instantly (just remember to turn on airplane mode to turn of the phone and wifi - don't want to cook the little one!). The Amazon rainforest and other sounds with sleep timer and fade-out are great as well.

BigOven - the imperial measures are a pain, but it has a huge number of recipes available and options for putting in the ingredients you have on hand and getting recipe suggestions etc.

BabyLog - great for new mums to keep track of all the important info.

Then there are the great games.

Asphalt4 - excellent 3D Car racing game. Race a Lamborghini down city streets bumping other cars off the road.

Cube - an opensource Doom/Quake type game.

BSkiesLite - fun helicopter game

etc etc.

Ah, these iPhones are just too useful and fun. It's not surprising Apple has sold more Apps in just a few months than the entire mobile app industry has in a year. iTunes gift certificates work for apps too, so make great Chrissie presents for your iPhone and iPod touch- owning friends and family. ;-)

-Mart