MalMac,

After having a MacMini connected to a TV, I have now two AppleTV's (two TV's) and the MacMini has gone for a variety of reasons including ease of use and under utilisation with a much better quality picture also being a benefit of the ATV (which has HDMI and Component Video not just Composite).

A MacMini is the obvious competitor but it needs more administration. The ATV has a much simpler interface and no risk of going back to the desktop/deleting files etc. I did have to upgrade the Hard Disk in my Alum iMac to allow everything in the iTunes Library to be available and that isn't a job
for the fainthearted !

The ATV is a great device that many people just don't "get" at all. It does many things that a MacMini (or any Mac) can't do at all. Some things I have worked out as I have gone along are:

It is a pain that the ATV won't play avi's and so on - you need to convert with MPEG STreamclip, Handbrake etc. before you can add the media to your computers iTunes library (and everything needs to be in there...)

I have a heap of home movies etc that were edited in iMovie. The quality is much better when played back as a mp4v on the ATV compared to watching a DVD burned in iDVD of the same content. This also goes for any slideshows that you burn onto DVD too. The ATV outputs higher resolution than a DVD...

Using a iPT to control a ATV is better than the Apple remote, not only because it is cool - also it reacts more quickly - I guess the control is via different means (IR vs Airport) internally anyway...

You can use a ATV as a party jukebox. Connect it to a Amp and speakers after you have synced your music to it and then control with a iPod Touch/iPhone. No one else can change the music !

I did try the free Patchstick hack to use Boxee and XBMC - worked easily when I was on v2.2 software but everything reset since v2.3. I haven't got around to trying it again. Boxee is cool and XBMC allows playing avi's from different computers etc. but it all seemed a bit too WIndoze like to me.

The built in screen saver is really neat. Set it to your photo library. The way the images display and
rotate is jawdropping to many who have seen it.

Rentals are so easy. Bit of a pity that you have to watch within 24 hours of starting but not too painful.

Podcasts on the ATV allow you to watch/listen streaming and not just as a download like in iTunes.

The YouTube interface is much easier to navigate than doing the same on a computer.

In your shoes I would wait but don't write the ATV off at all - it is a great, easy to use, way to watch your iPhoto library and movies as well as being able to play your music plus have a number of
other uses...

Regards

Mark