Hi Steven,

2009/1/5 Steven Knowles <emai...@knowles.net.au>:
> I'm trying to compress a folder which contains about 1.8GB of data.
>
> Using MacOS to compress (10.5.6), the process begins but stops part way
> through with error being "The operation cannot be completed because you do
> not have sufficient privileges for "folders.504".

I presume you are doing this on a local disk not a network volume?
Normally, Mac OS X reserves a number of invisible folders for Trash
and Temporary Items. They are used by Applications (and the Finder).
For file sharing security reasons, these folders are only accessible
by the login that uses them, even though they may exist in shared
areas. Folders.504 is one such folder, but I've only known of it
existing in /var/tmp (which is an invisible folder of the system boot
disk). I don't imagine you are trying to copy that area! Because of
this, Mac OS X should normally prompt you for the system administrator
password to allow it to archive the requested folders and subfolders.

James.