Thanks Ronni. All of the settings you suggest are in order, and eventually got it to work after rebooting my machine, and having only iChat running. Very slow though, to the point of being unworkable, which I suspect may be a bandwidth / internet speed issue.

I wonder whether Apple Remote Desktop is likely to improve performance over iChat Screen Sharing, or whether, if comparing the same functionality, performance such as speed and connectivity is likely to be the same across both applications. If not, I guess the next obvious question would be why buy ARA when you have iChat?

Cheers, Steven