Steven Knowles wrote:
Any wamuggers out there in or near Forrestfield who would be happy to give my sister a hand with her MacBook, which has suddenly developed the blue folder / question mark at start up? I understand it's an indication of hard disk failure, but I think the first step is to boot the machine up with the start up disk and have Disk Utility check the HD and maybe even fix it.

Trouble is, my sister is a very basic user - knows how to check email and use FaceBook and that's about it - booting up with a start up disk is just not something that she's going to be able to do, even with explicit direction over phone. Unfortunately I'm not in the state and can't help, and all the people she knows are basic windows users. I'm afraid she's going to get frustrated, and in despair follow the advice of her mates and, heaven forbid, buy a windows machine!

Anyway, if no-one is local no prob, she'll just have to try her luck with an Apple service centre - just trying to save her a who-knows-how-long delay, and steep Apple repair fees. She's getting Facebook-withdrawal-symptoms already. If it does need to go down the service centre path, happy for any recommendations in this regard, nearest Forrestfield.

Cheers, Steven

Hello Steven,
You can have her telephone 92747111 in Midland for a quick free check - open on Tuesday.
Repairs are also quite economical.

Regards,

Charles Taylor