Many thanks Bob and Greg

I only wanted to read and copy, not write, but although Tiger should have done this ok, it didn't. Even when I installed MacFuse and NTFS-3G the finder couldn't see the drive, and at first disk utility knew it was there but could neither mount nor eject it, then latterly it would hang while looking for drives...

Please don't stress about this on my account, as the friend has gone home with his drive

thanks again
Alastair

www.goatpix.com