On 11/03/2009, at 11:38 AM, Robert Howells wrote:

On 11/03/2009, at 11:22 AM, chesn...@it.net.au wrote:

Hi List,

I recently bought a refurbished 8 core MacPro from the Apple Online Shop. 2 gig of RAM, and running Sys 10.5.1. It is the model which has just been superceded.

It was delivered about a week ago, but due to work commitments I only got to unpack it yesterday. It seemed to boot fine, and I loaded and set about running a memory test programme. All seemed well yesterday, with the whisper quiet operation of the fans which I had previously seen in the retail shops I had visited.

It is temporarily set up in the middle of the floor in my office, with unrestricted airflow.

This morning I woke it from sleep, and shortly afterwards the fans came to life both loud and strong. The air coming out seems barely warm, and the case is not in the least warm. Upon being made to go to sleep, the fans die, and on wakeup they kick in again. I have tried shutting down, leaving it for 15 minutes and rebooting, with only the Finder running. Same deal, really loud fans if the machine is awake, instant quiet if I put it to sleep.

The machine is presently switched off.

Does anybody have any ideas??

Thanks,

Bill Chesnutt

No ! But it reinforces my reservations about " refurbished " recently made gear !

Obviously the refurbished gear went back to the factory ( ? ) for some reason .

The question always to be answered is :

Was the problem fixed   OR
as in lot's of situations , did the refurbishment consist only of new packaging ?

Hello Bill,

Normally loud fan noise and fans running fast is caused by build up of dust. Being a refurbished unit from Apple it should be clean, you would hope?

Check that there is no dust clogging the vent on your video card. Wipe it with a Q-Tip and see if it fixes your problem.

Otherwise check here:
<http://macsaregreat.com/?p=63>

I read this on the Apple Mac Pro Discussions some time ago & kept the text but not the link, sorry.
Quote:
"I SOLVED my fan Problem. I decided to clean my computer on the inside. While doing so, I decided to look up how to take out the front cooling fan on the internet, and I stumbled upon this <articlehttp://macsaregreat.com/?p=63 >

My fan problem was caused by a solid layer of dust built up on the heat sink of my ATI Radeon X1900 Graphics Card. If you go to the article linked above, you can see a picture of how it looks.

If you aren't looking for it, you will easily miss it because it will be a solid layer of dust covering the heat sink (plus its not the best viewing angle to see).

I cleaned the heat sink to my card, booted my computer, fans ran loud for 5 seconds and then slowed down and started running quietly!

I can't vouch for other video cards, but this totally fixed my problem, even the booting up twice problem!"
End of Quote: