On 15/04/2009, at 8:34 PM, Robert Howells wrote:

On 15/04/2009, at 8:08 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

Hi Bob,

Repairing permissions in Leopard takes anywhere from 10-40 minutes, depending on what's installed and what's contained in /Library/ Receipts/bom/.

The repair permissions operation has changed in Leopard. The stalled progress bar is an unresolved bug (they haven't figured out how to make it work whilst it's checking or rebuilding the a.receiptdb, in /Library/Receipts/db/.

To see what's really going on, open that folder in a Finder window, select list view, launch Disk Utility, select your boot volume, and click on repair permissions. Watch the Finder window flash files that are being read and checked against the current a.receiptdb file. That's what's taking all the time and freezing the progress bar. Once that's finished, the progress bar starts moving and the permissions are being checked and repaired.

Also note, that you won't get any they were repaired message back for any that are noted to be incorrect.

Thanks Ronni !
No it does not say it has been repaired which is one reason to run the process a second time to confirm things are clear ... the fix did take place.

My problem is that at the completion of the process and show details check box checked
I can see what has failed
and after the rerun the same details are still there .

It was not repaired .

On an installation on one drive I am getting Permissions differ on ...
System/Library/Coreservices/FrontRow.app    and segments of that

and then a stream of USer differs + Group differs + Permissions differ
on  Library/Printers/Xerox  segements , plugins etc .

So my conundrum is .... if it does not fix these , does it fix anything ?

You need 10.5.6 to run Safari 4, so I am reluctant to go backwards ,
besides the problem needs to be attended to ... perhaps we need to look for 10.5.7

Hi Bob,

To fully understand Permissions in Leopard I would need to send you a book, not an email.
I'll try to send a short version ;-)

To be accurate, Disk Utility doesn’t actually repair permissions. Rather, it simply resets permissions. Further, to say Disk Utility repairs permissions implies that permissions can “go bad” or become corrupted over time and therefore need repairing because they’re broken. This is not true. Permissions stay the way they are set until someone or something comes along and sets
them another way.

Installers: Some installers change permissions on existing files and folders as a necessary part of the installation process, but fail to return them to their proper settings. To guard against slovenly installers, try running Verify or Repair Permissions after installing software, especially third-party software.

User Error: Mistakes can lead to problems requiring use of Disk Utility. A simple mistake with the chmod command, for instance,
can play havoc with permissions, requiring correction by Disk Utility.

Much of the software you install on your Mac is installed from packages. When a package is installed, the installer creates a Bill of Materials (.bom) file in that package’s receipts file. Installation receipts are stored in /Library/Receipts/. The Bill of Materials file lists the files installed by the package and the initial permissions for those files.

Disk Utility compares the list of permissions in the Bill of Materials file to the actual permissions. If Disk Utility finds any differences, it changes the permissions so they match the specifications in the Bill of Materials file.

Never throw away receipts. Without receipts, the Repair Permissions feature of Disk Utility won’t work. Instead you will receive a “No valid packages” error. The files in /Library/Receipts/ are reasonably small, so there’s no reason to remove them.

Not all software is installed from packages. For instance, many third- party applications are distributed as disk images from which you drag the application. Only software installed from packages creates Bill of Materials files, so Disk Utility can check permissions only on software installed that way. All official Apple software is installed from packages.