Hi Bob

Thanks for asking. It's a bit of a saga - disk utility kept throwing errors and wouldn't erase the drive, but after a few tries it did erase. Then superduper couldn't see it to restore (all this is while booted from a firewire drive). So I erased it again - several attempts later - and sd managed to spot it and I began to restore. 3 hours later it had managed a couple of hundred mb out of 50 gb so I gave up. The drive did show in the finder for a day, then vanished again.

Then I accidentally found a diagnostic tool - system profiler lists the s.m.a.r.t status of the disc as 'failing', so I guess it's shopping time

Thanks for your help
Alastair