Hi,

My two cents worth…

You could build one of these for US$14 and remove the stability problem at it's source.

http://steadycam.org/

Regards

Greg

On 15/05/2009, at 11:09 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:

On 15/05/2009, at 10:06 AM, Adrian Skehan wrote:

Is it my ageing iMac G5 running 10.5.7 any iLife 09 or could it be something else when it takes 2 hours to smooth a 3.5 minute video clip and 7 hours for an 11 minute one?

Hi Adrian,

Yes, your ageing iMac could have a bearing on the time it is taking for the Stabilization in iMovie 8. Make sure you have no other applications open, don't try to do anything else on your iMac, just let iMovie do it's stabilization.

Stabilization works by analyzing every single frame in a clip, recognising the changes in both camera position (movement up, down, left, or right) and camera rotation. Once it figures that bit out, it knows how to slide and rotate your clips to iron out the shakes.

Unfortunately, this sort of analysis takes a very long time—roughly ten minutes for every minute of video (more or less depending on your Mac’s speed). Also I have read that the better your Graphics Card is makes a difference in speed of using the stabilization.

I normally set Movie to do the analyzing & Stabilizing of my video at night while I have dinner, open a bottle of red, and watch my EyeTV recorded shows ;-)
I find Stabilization is well worth the wait though.