Hi Peter,

all mobiles can be locked not just the iPhone. To lock a phone merely means that the service provider who sold the phone has locked it onto their network and the phone cannot be used on another network until it gets unlocked. You need to find out if your son's phone is locked by installing another SIM into it and seeing if it works.

Jailbreaking is another issue entirely. Apple prevents unauthorised apps from running on the iPhone. This is to ensure that the app complies with their predetermined use policy. If you jailbreak your iPhone you circumvent this system to enable other apps to run. This may void warranty and may brick your phone. Chances are that the next time their is an update to the iPhone's OS you would have to re- jailbreak it. Your decision.

Regarding using different SIMs in the iPhone. When I purchased mine from Telstra they informed me I needed a new SIM for the iPhone. I'm not certain if this was for their NextG network or the iPhone itself or if it was just a porky. Having said that I am aware of other people putting other SIMs into unlocked iPhones without problems,

As far as your comment that you have little use for themobile phone, you must remember that the phone part of the iPhone is a very small component of a very handy device that has many other very useful functions. My iPhone gets used as an actual phone about 20% of the time.

                      Regards,
                      Eugene