Hi Stephen,

I use iinet as my ISP and found their support very helpful. I thought
Westnet have been taken over by iinet but may be wrong, so you may have
access to the same help desk.

They told me there can be problems when the phone line goes down before the
power is cut off. So for example pulling the phone line out without turning
off the modem first can cause confusion and disharmony amongst the
handshaking gods. These gods may still be unhappy after your phone line
problems.

This isn't very helpful but there is a setting you can change on the control
panel of the router that fixes the problem. It 'may' be in the ADSL settings
area, but sorry I cannot recall. I think it's like giving the handshaking
gods some nice chocolate, and makes them happy again.

I suggest a call to your helpdesk might help.

Also, make sure you do the obvious things like checking your connections. I
know I have a dicky wall plate that one day I'll get around to replacing. If
the plug is touched, I lose connection.

Hope this non technical response helps.  :-)

Tim