On 26/05/2009, at 12:28 PM, Paul Weaver wrote:

I was under the impression that every computer can be identified by a unique IP address which doesn't change.

You have one line to your isp and it has just the one IP address .
So the online checker shows that address .

Your ethernet home network will have a router which will allocate individual Ip addresses to the individual Mac's .

You should be able to see the address of that mac by going to System Preferences - Network

and look at the " built in Ethernet " details

Typically depending on your brand of router you would expect to see something like 192.168.1.x

Some browsers use   192.168.0.x

The " x " part of the address will be different for each Mac .
With an ethernet connection the " x " part of the address mostly stays the same

Bob

If this is the case how can I check the individual iMacs on our house ethernet system. They all pop up the same IP number when I use an online checker.

Paul.