Hi James, Ronnie, thanks very much for your responses. The keyboard could be power hungry as I have a mouse plugged in to the left usb socket in the keyboard and a printer plugged into the right. I only connect the keyboard when I have the laptop connected to mains power.

I had no trouble with the Dell keyboard on currently os.

As to why I use an external keyboard, it is a question of ergonomics. Any ergonomist will tell you that typing directly onto a laptop keyboard for extended periods of time eg all day, and particularly looking down at the laptop screen will eventually lead to posture problems, loads of back and neck pain, and forearm soreness as well. You don't see laptop only setups often in corporates any more as a result. For the small amount that they cost, you should get one too. Definitely better to type on IMHO.

Thanks for input thus far...

Justin

maybe the keyboard is power hungry thus it appears unreliable, i have
seen that sort of problems on windows machines where on the front
only certain memory stick worked, some othere got slow & after
connecting them to the backside socket they worked on full speed
just something: can you borrow a mains powered usb hub & try the
keyboard with that one........James