On 23/06/2009 9:08 PM, Tim Law wrote:
 These products concern me as a user of HF radio on my outback travels.

 I recall extensive discussion about the negative impact on internet over
 powerlines on HF radio transmissions and hadn't realised it was going to be
 accepted in Australia. I wouldn't mind Gigabyte download speeds, but not at
 the cost of me not being able to use HF whilst travelling. It's something to
 do with the wavelength of internet over powerlines interfering with the HF
 frequencies, effectively destroying the ability for it to be used anywhere
 near powerlines. Base stations all over the country would become useless,
 and render the system redundant.

 Sure, Sat phones provide an alternative, there is nothing quite like the
 crackle of the HF radio sched to give a feeling of not being alone and part
 of a big community of travellers that will help each out in a time of need.
 Many sat phone owners still run their HF as they

 I'd appreciate anyone being able to reassure me that in the years since this
 technology had been developed that it's negative impact on HF has been
 removed.

 Tim

I think you'll find that the HF interference concerns mainly come from ISPs (or electricity companies pretending to be ISPs) using power lines to provide internet, as they do in some places overseas.

These Gigabit over Power solutions are for inside your home, and should be designed so they don't interfere with the people next door using the same system. No long transmission lines to act as antennas to radiate the signal.

Of course, smart power meters are now communicating over the power lines anyway, but probably at much less bandwidth, and thus much less likely to interfere.

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  The love of liberty is the love