> for example - does a sim from a bog-standard Nokia work in an iPhone?
> Presumably without 3G speeds?
I had to get my Optus SIM card in my Nokia updated when I picked up
the iPhone. Later version SIM apparently, but it looks identical.
Optus has a 3G network in metro Perth, and when Wireless is off the
iPhone shows the 3G indicator.

> Presumably the Wifi features work regardless of what sim is installed - the
> sim is only used for internet access over the mobile phone network if you're
> not in Wifi range - do I understand this correctly?
I think this is correct - WiFi works independently of the sim, the
iPhone just connects to the wireless network like your Mac does.

Glenn Nicholas