Adam, Andrew - thanks heaps for your suggestions.

Adam, I have a vague idea of Terminal but I'm not overly familiar with command line prompts and all that stuff, so I wasn't really sure what to do with your suggestion, or how I could use it in conjunction with a file full of email addresses.

Andrew, I had a look at your sample spreadsheet - very resourceful and inventive. The file I have complicates things a little by having things like commas after email addresses, most lines having one email address but some having two, etc. I'll take you up on your generous offer if it's still open. You could probably do in 5 minutes what it would take me all day and still get wrong. It's not a confidential list. I'll email through separately.

Cheers, Steven